THE HISTORY OF VINEYARDS IN THE LANDES
2000 YEARS OF HISTORY IN THE LANDES
During the Gallo-Roman time, Tursan and Chalosse wines were admitted at Emperors table.
In the Middle Ages, we could find it in large Spanish cities such as Cordoue, Seville or Valencia, but also in England or in Flanders. Barrels were carried by boat on the Adour until the coastline where they were put on commercial ships.
In Tursan, the Abbayes of Pimbo, Saint-Loubouer, Saint-Sever or Vielle-Tursan testify about the monks’ dynamism, without forgetting Geaune and its bastide with its tower. Accross the XV and XVI centuries, the English departure ruined the commerce and too much wine was produce in Gascogne. In this hard time, alcoholic drinks were prohibited and Henri III ordered in 1577 the grubbing-up of excess vineyard.
Henri IV will cancel this authoritarian measure at the end of its reign in 1589.
In the XXVII century, wines of Tursan reached a zenith. A large diversity of grape varieties and large surfaces boosted the vineyard. Boats were doing a constant ballet between Mugron and Bayonne passing through Dax. Since the phylloxera crisis in the middle of the XX century, vineyards were going through a period of doubt. Wine infrastructures’ modernization has become a necessity and the cooperative were created in 1958. This renewal was the beginning of a new expansion, still valid.