THE HISTORY OF VINEYARDS IN THE LANDES
2000 YEARS OF HISTORY IN THE LANDES
The story of “Tursan” is linked to the existence of the Viscounty of Tursan whose historic center, Geaune was founded in 1318 by the Seneschal of Gascony. ‘Tursan’ corresponds to a historic region well defined and delimited.
The use of the name ‘Tursan’ for wines from this small region of the Landes goes back a few centuries. From the 12th and 13th century, these wines are sold in Cordoba, Seville, Valencia and the Kingdom of Leon.
Furthermore, the Gascony Union with the English Crown leads to an intense trade flow with this country. Flanders also trades with Bayonne and buy the wines of ‘Tursan’. The departure of the English, in 1453, destroyed the trade between Bayonne and Bordeaux.
The 17th century corresponds to the wines of ‘Tursan’ peak. Since 1620, the quantities of wines present in the port of Bayonne constantly grow. They go down by boat the Adour from Saint-Sever.
Since the phylloxera crisis in the middle of the XX century, vineyards were going through a period of doubt. Wine infrastructures’ modernization has become a necessity and the cooperative were created in 1958. This renewal was the beginning of a new expansion, still valid.