TURSAN – LANDES- CHALOSSE - ADOUR
The Landes, well known for their gastronomy, are a huge touristic destination with 2 million of holidaymakers and are famous for their popular lifestyle! They are also cultivation and breeding lands, especially in the south west of the department. The territory « countryside of the Landes » is mostly composed of Tursan and Chalosse.
Our cooperative is the last one still in activity against 8 before and ensure the continuity of winemakers work.
We are producing different wine denominations, including our famous one: the Tursan PDO!
Those appellations are delivered depending on quality conditions that are subject to regulations and specifications include:
• Production area
• Grape varieties
• Agricultural yield
• Expectation regarding the grape harvest with a strict selection of the contributions
• Analytical and tasting pleasure control
• Simple or double Guyot
• Sustainable agricultural practices
Every winemaker is committed to follow these specifications.
The grape varieties:
Red and Rosé wines:
- Tursan PDO: To make red and rosé wines: Cabernet franc, Tannat, cabernet sauvignon, Fer-Servadou, Merlot
- Landes PGI: Cabernets, Egiodola, Tannat
- Tursan PDO: Baroque, Gros-Manseng, Sauvignon Blanc
- Landes PGI: Baroque, Sauvignon Blanc, Colombard, Arriloba, Gros-Manseng, Petit-Manseng
Average production in Tursan:
• 40 % of Red
• 40 % of White
• 20 % of Rosé
All located in the south of Landes county, from the inland regions to Atlantic coastal regions, we could find:
Here, the nature decided to show its difference. This preserved land is located between Dax and Mont de Marsan, just behind the Landes forest. Almost confidential, this land enjoys a specific and advantageous climate situation, next to the Pyrenees which are making a beautiful background.
- The Tursan PDO follows the bends of the Adour, across 36 municipalities, within a distance of 15 kilometers from Geaune. The Adour was used in the Middle Ages to carry barrels by boat until the coastline where they were put on commercial ships to reach the North of Europe.
• 70 Tursan wine-growers for 400 hectares of vineyard
• 4 soil types in Tursan : 'argilo-calcaire' / 'limons et gravettes' / 'sables fauves' / 'galets roulés'.
The vineyard is scattered in many different plots. On the south side, in front of the Pyrenees, they are use in priority for vineyard plantation.
THE CHALOSSE AND THE LANDES
Established in an Adour bend, the Chalosse is the secret garden of the Landes. Land of traditions: agricultural and cultural (gastronomy, “course landaise”, “bandas”…) that represent the local way of life. At the south of the forest areas, it offered a beautiful panorama of ochre hillsides carefully cultivated upon them we could fine the vineyard plots.
• Landes PGI 'Coteaux de Chalosse': 50 wine-growers working 100 hectares of vineyard with a sand terroir. Production area is located around Pouillon, Mugron, Saint-Sever and Hagetmau. We find some specificities in grape varieties, such as Arriloba for the white ones and Egiodola for red.
• Landes PGI 'Sables de l’Océan': 6 hectares of vineyard cultivated at Messanges in the sand plain next to the Ocean.
The vineyard is being reorganized with a small part cultivated with organic agricultural practices.
Notice that marine gravel and sand accelerated the grape maturity.
The vine population in 'Cabernet franc' and 'Merlot' gives a unique Rosé, between a fruity freshness and lightly sparkling, to be consume a little bit cold.